Happiness, 41.2 milliliters at a time…

Posted in info by Francisco Toro on February 15, 2010

1 gallon soy sauce[Kanako’s husband here, pitching in a cheeky little post without her knowledge.]

Back in November, we bought this monstruous, one gallon jerrycan of Kikkoman soy sauce at the big Angel Seafoods sale in Montreal. Just to look at the thing in our shopping cart, I couldn’t really imagine how we’d ever finish it.

And yet today, just 92 days later, that jug officially ran out!

That’s an average of 41.2 milliliters a day of soy-y goodness. Or, for the less metrically inclined among you, 1.38 fluid ounces – or 2.8 tablespoons – of the stuff each and every day.

Bliss!

1. caracaschronicles said, on February 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm

And, yikes, I just realized that’s 1260 mg. of sodium per day for each of us – about half the US government’s guideline daily intake – from soy sauce alone!

2. Erica said, on February 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Just for you:

• kanako said, on February 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I think we should make all the recipes less salty. That’s the solution.
      Less sodium soy sauce is for the people with serious health problem and not for us. That kind of soy sauce are the same as yogurt without fat, just sad and not delicious at all.

3. Pandora said, on February 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm

“Monstruous”? No way! Wish we could get that size here. Good you noticed the sodium, but you can cut down on other sources, including sodium in some ¨healthy¨foods, including celery.

4. poutinepundit said, on February 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Kikkoman – the name is quite fitting.

5. Mitchi said, on February 17, 2010 at 3:35 am

That’s why I get the low sodium stuff. I can’t keep my husband from dousing his food in soy sauce every time we eat. At least that way, he’s getting less sodium than he normally would be.

6. Kepler said, on February 17, 2010 at 4:57 am

Pero sabe sabroso.

I wonder how Japanese are compared to other groups when
    it comes to kidney stones and other salt-related problems.

My guess is that they are fine, considering a lot of the receipts don’t mention salt on its own.

Of course, if you are combining Japanese with empanadas de cazón and fried salty plantains plus arepas with some very salty cheese, the equation will be different.

Talking about things some people take more: what about Japanese tea? How often do they really drink tea and is it mostly black? (like the traditional way, not the young yuppie who is constantly looking at information on how to be healthier than today)

• Kanako said, on February 18, 2010 at 9:19 am

We drink tea all the time. Mostly Nestea.

• kanako said, on February 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Quico! Don’t hack my account, please.

Talking about tea, my family drinks it at least 5 times a day: after breakfast, between breakfast and lunch, after lunch, at tea time and after dinner.
        And it’s always unsweeten green tea.

No black tea and NEVER herbal tea. (I think many Japanese people hate camomille.)

We love green tea, especially very strong green tea like Gyokuro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyokuro
        This is a type of sencha and not maccha.

In fact, many people say they like green tea, so I often offer Japanese green tea to my guest. However most of them don’t appreciate strong Gyokuro type of tea as much as Japanese. Some said to me that it tasted more soup than tea, because it had too strong fresh green taste.

Japanese people don’t appreciate watery green tea, which some western people drink usually. And it doesn’t seem that it’s only because of the kind of tea but the quantity of the tea leaves used. I have an impression that Western people use less tea leaves for a cup of tea in general.

One more thing, in Japan people drink coffee as much as green tea.

• Kepler said, on February 18, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Sigh…thanks for clarifying that. 🙂

I will look for that tea type. I also drink green tea, although not so often.

Well, Japanese seem to definitely take just healthy food/drinks. I read ages ago a book by Andrew Well, a US doctor that looks like St. kept praising the green tea…from there I took the habit.

If only you were not eating whales!

7. Pandora said, on February 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Glad you corrected reference to yucky Nestea.

And lucky you still drink your tea unsweetened so that when you come to Venezuela you won´t miss sugar, currently unavailable. I´m going to grow some stevia to sweeten my coffee.