Furofuki Daikon: With Leek and Miso Sauce

Posted in Recipe, side dish, today's meal by Kanako Noda on November 1, 2009

furofuki daikon and negi misoMy husband has recently developed an unhealthy fixation with daikon. I’ve tried to explain to him that it won’t hurt him to go without it for a day or two, but it’s no use: he’s obsessed. To quell the beast, I made him this Negimiso (leek and miso) sauce tonight, which goes spectacularly with daikon. He was pleased…until tomorrow.

In this recipe, I share an old kitchen trick for keeping the daikon’s color a brilliant white, even after long cooking: boiling the daikon twice, the first time in the water you used to wash rice. Since we didn’t make rice tonight, I used a little work-around that gives you pretty much the same result. Read on to find out how I did it.

Ingredients (for four)
ingredients

• Daikon – one
  • The water you’ve used to wash rice in or, failing that, uncooked rice – two tablespoons – just to keep the daikon’s color
  • Konbu – two segments
  • Sake – two tablespoons

for negimiso sauce

• Leek – one, green part only. (Alternatively, you could use five or six spring onions: the result is the same.)
  • Miso – two tablespoons
  • Cooking oil – half a tablespoon
  • Sugar – one tablespoon
  • Mirin – two tablespoons
  • Water – two tablespoons

Preparation

The key here is to cook the daikon radishes and the spring onion sauce separately. Lets do the daikon first:

For the daikon:

• Cut the Daikon in 8-10 cm. segments, as you would for Daikon Nimono, then peel each segment
  • Rinse well under cold water
  • Place the segments in a large pot.
  • If you’ve saved the water you used to wash some rice, cook the daikon in that water. Otherwise add two tablespoons of uncooked rice to the water
  • Bring to a boil, covered, over a high flame
  • Once it boils, uncover, and let cook for 20 minutes
  • Strain and rinse the daikon under cold water, if you’d added rice, discard it
  • Add two pieces of konbu to the pot, return the rinsed daikon to the pot, add six cups of water and two tablespoons sake
  • Bring to a boil again, uncovered, over high heat
  • Once it boils, turn the flame down to low,
  • Make a little dome over the daikon using two layers of kitchen paper towels
  • Allow to cook for another 40 minutes

cut daikon peel daikon wash daikon

cover with water and add rice Bring to a boil rinse the daikon under cold water

put konbu on the pot add water and sake bring to boil again

cook covered with paper towel finish daikon click to enlarge

For the sauce:

• Take only the green part of one leek (or of 5 or six spring onions), wash well and chop as small as possible
  • Sautee in a small pan with the cooking oil over a medium-low flame, for about 10 minutes until it’s well cooked
  • In a separate container, add miso, sugar, mirin and water, mix well.
  • Add the miso mixture to the cooking leek, stir and cook for three minutes

leek cut leek add oil

cook leek prepare miso sauce leek cooked

add miso sauce negi miso click to enlarge

When the daikon is fully cooked, remove from the water, plate, and place sauce over the daikon. Serve hot.

As you’ll certainly notice, this leek and miso sauce (negimiso) is heartstoppingly delicious. Enjoy it also over cooked aubergines, or as a rice topping.

For today’s dinner we had furofuki daikon, fried chicken and ohitashi (boiled greens).

31th dinnerItadakimasu!

Tagged with: ,

1. Kepler said, on November 1, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Beware! He may require ever higher doses of Daikon until only intravenous therapy would do.

A question about Mirin: do you have a special brand? I am trying to find products without weird E’s. I know not every E is bad, but I just want to know if there is something you would recomend.

• kanako said, on November 2, 2009 at 12:11 am

Well, I don’t have any preference for Mirin… but useally I choose the cheapest “Hon-Mirin (本みりん). Attention, there are “real” Mirin and Mirin-like substance in the market.
      Mirin is a kind of alcohol. So check the ingredient and the persentage of the alcohol. If it contains 14% alcohol, that would be ideal. What I use contains 9.8% alcohol, and it’s quite ok. If it contains less than 1% alcohol, it is Mirin-like substance. Any way it should retain the same flavour.

• Kepler said, on November 2, 2009 at 6:49 am

本? Why is it called hon? Is it the Mirin of the intellectuals and well-read? 🙂

I have no trouble with alcohol, I just try to choose things without E’s, if possible. In Germany it is easier than in Belgium. You see lots of people in the German supermarkets checking out if something has E221 or E121.
        I checked now the Mirin I have here and it is a Marukin Shin Mirin (never heard of it) which contains E621 (monosodium glutamate, very normal),
        E363 (succinic acid)
        and E297 (fumaric acid), just flavour enhancers. I suppose there are worse things like unnecessary chemicals for couloring.
        Still, I will keep an eye for things that are more natural.

Thanks again

2. kanako said, on November 2, 2009 at 9:37 am

Hi Kepler,
    I think 本 of hon-mirin means in this sense is “true” or “authentic”, not “book”!

I don’t know about much about E things, but I can tell you a little about Shin-mirin. Shin-mirin is literally “new” mirin, but it doesn’t mean newly made. When they call it Shin-mirin, it’s a kind of mirin-like substance, like “mirin-fu chomiryo”.

• Kepler said, on November 2, 2009 at 11:17 am

You could have fooled me with some story about
      Zen monks using mirin to cook after a hard day studying.
      But seriously: the Japanese and chinese languages are just perverse. They have all those 50000 characters and still their written texts are full of ambiguity.
      I told Quico I am learning chinese (I know it is quite another beast). I just checked now in the chinese dictionary and I found the book and book counting meanings, which I knew, but also root, basis, origin and capital (only the noun meanings). So now I learnt something new. I suppose there may be an extra meaning in Japanese now and like 3 forms of pronouncing it.
      Asians just wanted to bother us with their writing systems, kind of built them into their culture as competitive advantage for the future trade wars.
      🙂
      Thanks for the explanation on the shin, though

3. Jenn said, on December 13, 2009 at 11:10 am

Hi Kanako,

Just went to the market yesterday and guess what? I happen to have bought some pork, leek, and 2 daikons…..and some other veggies.

Now, all the ingredients are on hand for trying this dish and the other daikon nimono dish. So excited!

One question please – in making the sauce, only the green part of leek is used, so the white part can be saved for some other dish, right?

If so, it is great due to no waste….cuz generally I have only been using the white part of the leek and never knew what to do with the green part, except use it in the compost.

Thanks!

4. Jenn said, on December 13, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I went ahead and made it tonight for dinner (used a tad bit of white and mostly green of the leek). Most of the white part of the leek was used earlier for lunch today for a pasta dish.

Loved the negimiso sauce. Hubby wasn’t too fond of it, he said the leek flavor was a tad bit too strong for him. I think he will get used to it when I make it again…hehe.

Thanks for another winner recipe!

• kanako said, on December 14, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Hi Jenn, Negi miso is also good putting inside onigiri. Or you can use for chicken or pork, too.
      And if you don’t like negimiso for furofuki daikon, you can make a simple miso sauce:
      miso (4 tablespoons), sugar (1 tablespooon), Mirin (1 tablespoon), Lime juice if you don’t have Yuzu juice (2 teaspoons). Cook them at low heat.