Hakusai and tuna fish nimono
This braised dish is one way my mother solved that perennial “so, what’s for dinner?” problem: unbelievably delicious, made from ingredients that cost next to nothing, healthy and ready in just a few minutes.
When you find you’ve bought a bit too much Napa Cabbage (hakusai) and you’re not sure how to finish it all, this is the solution.
- Hakusai (Napa cabbage): 1/2
- Canned tuna: 133 g./4oz can (I use tuna packed in water, but oil-packed tuna could also work well)
- Sugar: 2 and 1/2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce: 3 tablespoons
- Sake: 3 tablespoons
- Cut the hakusai in big chunks
- Open the tuna can
- Throw all the ingredients into a heavy casserole (a.k.a. a Dutch Oven).
- Mix throughly and turn on the heat.
- Cook covered for about 15 – 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve with rice.
Today’s meal: this dish alongside rice, miso soup, and steamed broccoli.