Three Color Torisoboro Gohan: Minced Chicken and Garnish over Rice

Posted in main dish, Recipe, rice by kanako on January 16, 2011

Hello loyal readers! Sorry for disappearing but I’ve been really busy with my non-cooking life. I don’t want the blog to stay dormant forever, though, and my husband really wanted me to add this recipe for his new favorite way to eat chicken: minced!
When you think about it, it’s funny: ground beef and ground pork are common enough, but how often do you see ground chicken? Our local supermarket sure doesn’t sell it, so for this recipe, we mince it ourselves. It’s not the most pleasant of kitchen tasks, granted, but it’s not actually hard either…just chop some chicken thigh and breast meat into blocks and put it through a food processor. Takes a minute or two.

Torisoboro Gohan isn’t really a fancy dish, but it’s very flavorful and always seems to be a major hit when I’ve served it to Westerners. To make it really appealing, you want  to pair it with brightly colored garnishings – usually green beens and silk-thread eggs – aiming for a tri-color effect at the end.

Ingredients: (for four)

• Chicken thighs and breast – 400g
  • Sake – 4 tablespoons
  • Soy sauce – 3 tablespoons
  • Sugar – 3 tablespoons
  • Ginger – a small piece
  • Salt

Note: In the photos, portions will seem large because I made it for eight.

Preparation:

1. Mince the chicken thighs and breast.
  2. Chop the ginger very small.
  3. Put all the ingredients, except the salt, in a pan at medium heat.
  4. Stir continuously as the mixture cooks, being careful to break up all the chicken clumps. It takes some time but just be patient.
  5. When the chicken is totally cooked and crumbled, adjust season to taste with salt.
  6. Prepare greens and eggs (Kinshi Tamago).
    Usually I make boiled green beans in salt water for torisoboro gohan. This time I didn’t have green beans so I made Okra instead.
    For Kinshi tamago see here.  Make Kinshi Tamago (Hiyashi Chuka)
  7. Serve rice in a bowl. Then arrange the minced chicken, greens and silk-thread eggs beautifully over the rice.
    In the photo I used “okoge” (slightly burnt rice) but, of course, you can use normal white rice too.
About these ads
Tagged with: , , ,

1. Jenn said, on January 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Hi Kanako,

Welcome back! So happy to see a new recipe.

I also make torisoboro gohan and the seasonings I use are similar. Apart of the meat, I usually use green peas and carrots for the color on top of the rice.

Also, fortunately where I live, minced chicken is usually pretty easy to find so I don’t have to mince it myself or use the food processor.

I have also made the same thing with ground turkey (also easily available where I live).
    Is ground turkey easily found where you are? If so, maybe you can try it next time with turkey instead? It comes out pretty good too.

Thanks again.

Jenn

• kanako said, on January 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hi Jen, torisoboro is quite popular and one of the typical Japanese home cookings. And using turkey sounds great. The next time I’ll try this recipe with turkey, although, here in Montreal, we can’t find minced turkey…

2. Diana B. said, on January 17, 2011 at 8:21 am

Hi Kanako.
    Happy New Year and good to see a new post. can’t wait to try this for lunch one day. so simple and looks really yummy. comfort food… yum.

• kanako said, on January 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

Happy New Year Diana,
      this is the very comfort food. And what’s more, this recipe is still good when it becomes cold. So this is a perfect lunch box recipe for picnic.

3. Diana B. said, on January 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Hi Kanako :)
    i am having this for lunch right now. soooo goood and so simple. i did not have sake on hand so i substituted for white wine. came out great. thanks again :)

4. Karine said, on January 22, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hello Kanako,
    I am so happy to have found your blog while browsing for Japanese recipes and others. I, too, am living in Montreal and have been desperate to cook japanese food at home for years! Thank you so much for providing such wonderful recipes, as well as easy to understand instructions, and a list of places where to shop. I will try this recipe today :)

5. Shoshana said, on January 31, 2011 at 7:04 am

Thanks for the idea! I now know what to make for my fiance…he loves all Japanese foods!

6. Naomi said, on February 24, 2011 at 11:59 am

Thank you for the recipe. ^__^